Beach Time

Beach Time
My favorite place to be

Monday, June 17, 2013

Life's trials

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.  But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.  But let him ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.  For let not that man expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.  James 1:2-8

Right now I am in various trials.....a business taken away from us.....elderly aging parents.....taking care of 2 children ages 4 and 7 living with us, taken from a relative's home.....older siblings not getting along.

I truly did not expect to be taking care of small children at this stage of our lives. My children except for our 18 year old are all out of the home and on their own.  We have raised 6 sons and these two are boys.  At first it was not easy as they came to us, unruly, without discipline and used to doing what they want when they want.  The 4 year old throwing tantrums!  I had never dealt with that before.  Yikes!  I thought how can I possibly handle all that is going on.  We did not expect to lose our business and we did know that we would have to help my in-laws, but, they are stubborn and don't really want our help, but, on the other hand they do.

The Lord brought me to this passage and I have come to understand that there is joy in the trials because we do not have to do it on our own.  He gives us the wisdom to handle it.  We just have to ask Him in faith and believe!  I had not seen that before, I had always stopped at the trial part and not considered asking for wisdom through it.    I knew about asking for wisdom and believe me I have asked. Also, it was so clear to me, that the trials bring results that perfect us.   I was really struggling a week ago, thinking I was losing my faith.......I humbled myself and cried out to God.  He answered and showed me how I had a faint heart.  (faint-hearted,  cowardly, easily depressed, yielding to fear)
That was me for sure!

God gave me this verse for my faint heart.
From the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For You have been a refuge for me, a tower of strength against the enemy  Psalm 61: 2-3

I was resentful about having two small children to raise, and not sure of how long they were going to be with us.  Well, I have fell in love with them.....they are so precious to me and I am thankful that God allowed them to come into our household.    

Are you going through a trial(s) .  Be encouraged girlfriend!  We have a God who hears and wants to help us through it.  He is FAITHFUL!

 

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    I totally understand not expecting what "is" in this stage of my life but I know that it's for His glory and my good. Keeps me focused! My verse for the last few years has been Luke 1:38. I love these words -"there is joy in the trials because we do not have to do it on our own." So true and something to remember when I try to do it on my own! Thanks for sharing your struggles!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete